Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Significant event's Eve

Tomorrow is the day that I go in for my arthroscopic knee surgery. The procedure, as I like to call it, will take place at Mt Sinai, 3 blocks away. I feel pretty calm about the whole thing, which I think is troubling some people. Should I be more worried? I really don't see why and it may be because of ignorance about being put under and having surgery. Ignorance may be bliss.

One aspect of this whole thing that is really bugging me is the fact that every entity involved in this procedure is only looking out to get paid. They don't give a damn whether I'm going in for brain surgery or wart removal. Last week the orthopedics department called and asked for a "deposit". I'm not renting a fucking clown for a birthday party. What am I going to do cancel because of rain? I know, I know. Bad analogy. But it's still pissing me off.

They all want to make sure that they get paid and make their quota. Being in sales, I know what that means. I am really frustrated about the fact that medicine is not about healing but about business. It's the business of medicine and I'm sure that more than a couple of deadbeats have walked through the doors of Mt Sinai. Still, it doesn't make it right. They required a pre-op physical with labs to make sure they covered their ass in case I croak on the table. Maybe they should also run a pre-op credit check.

What's next? "Sorry sir, but we can't operate because your FICO score is too low." or worse yet "It's our Presidents Day appendectomy sale. No credit, no problem. Only $100 down with our low, low financing". What the hell is up with that?

So we'll see if they operate at 10:30 tomorrow morning. I will have my banker on alert and make sure I have a balanced portfolio with no CDEs. Oh, and I have to remember to bring my own crutches, because apparently the hospital does not provide you with these post-op necessities.

My next post will be under the influence of Percacet. That should be a doozey.

No comments: