Friday, May 16, 2008

Finally

I've been trying to post an entry for a couple of days. Every time I get in front of the laptop, there is something that pulls me away. I like having time to spend with the kids, especially when we do an activity. Yesterday S and I went to a playground on the West Side. Although that wasn't my initial idea.

I was planning on going to Rite Aid on Broadway for paper towels and wipes. I know they usually have good deals on both. When the bus dropped us off at Broadway, my engineer brain ran some quick calculations and informed me that if we did the shopping at that time, we would be back too early. So I decided to go to a playground. S kept asking if we're going to the "dinosaur playground" and I did not want to commit lest she throw a fit when it turned out to be just a simple pedestrian playground.

Indeed she knew what she was talking about. It was the Dinosaur Playground. I guess she's been to more playgrounds than I have. In the past week S has matured from a social skills perspective. She is yearning for playmates and at any playground she looks for someone who she can play with. Today, it was a 2 year old girls and her 4 year old brother. S properly introduced herself and asked the girl what her name was. Then she said, "let's play" and they were off on a chase around the playground. The kids' mother and I trying to catch up and help them up on the rings, the structure, the dinosaurs, etc.

After a while the little girl wanted some juice, otherwise S can keep playing without taking a break. She had a few bites of the chicken fingers and some water. All the while, S's interacting with the other kids and wanting to play. I felt very good about the whole thing. I am proud of the way she conducts herself, her self-assurance, her empathy, and her fun-loving personality.

And what about the paper towels and wipes? My engineer brain was out of commission and we had to rush back home. Who needs wipes anyway?

1 comment:

johnworld said...

what a lovely

engineer brain you may have but you also an engineers brain

we love you all anyway

hera arpi and john