Monday, June 23, 2008

Idea for a road trip

A few years ago, I got the idea of traveling cross country on a road trip. I asked MLW if she'd be interested and got the "Did I really marry this guy?" look. Which means that I have to find someone to do the trip with me. There's a delicate art to recruiting a semi-willing travel companion.

In June of 2000, my friend Armen and I got tickets to 8 games for the Euro2000 in Holland and Belgium. A 2-week party with the added benefit of watching soccer, live and in person every other day. We had all our hotels booked for the two weeks and had a rental car. We stayed at 4 or 5 cities in Holland, plus did an impromptu side trip to Germany. That was a good road trip. We both were into the sport, driving, visiting new cities, and of course the drinking. We concluded that you can find an Irish pub in any major city in Europe. And the bonus is that the bartender at least speaks English.

Based on this experience, I think the cross country road trip needs a theme. I came up with the theme while watching the Food Network: The Barbecue Road Trip. Now you're talkin'. I figure we can drive down to the Carolinas, over to Tennessee, continue on to St. Louis and Kansas City, then down to Texas, and make a dash for the coast (with a quick stop in Las Vegas). I may even get MLW to sign up for this one.

Any takers?

No comments: