Sunday, June 8, 2008

Euro2008

In case you don't follow soccer, Euro2008 tournament started yesterday, with the Swiss hosting the Czech Republic. I was surprised to find out that all the games are being carried by ESPN, which means I can turn on my TV and catch a real game of football for the next 3 weeks or so. The only kink in this plan is the fact that we don't have cable. We haven't had cable since we moved from San Francisco. And the only reason we got cable in San Francisco was because the World Cup was on in Japan/Korea and I had to tape the games to watch after work.

Being a Verizon DSL subscriber, I have access to ESPN360 which lets me watch these games live on my computer for free. It works fine, but the resolution is crappy and I have a 15" laptop monitor. Not exactly the same experience as watching it in HD on a 42". On a tangential note: HDTV was created for watching sports. Period.

Yesterday's match recap: Czech 1 - Switzerland 0 and Portugal 2 - Turkey 0. I took great pleasure in watching Portugal kick some Turkish ass. Of course Ronaldo is one of the best players out there and Portugal is the European Brazil. Great football, but a letdown when it comes to tournament elimination. Although I thought they had a good chance in 2004 but Greece played well above their heads.



I put this YouTube thing in there just to see how it works.

Today Austria, the other host of the tournament, takes on Croatia then Germany and Poland play what should be a great game.

No comments: