Sunday, June 1, 2008

Life's lessons

I consider myself a student and love learning new things. Throughout life we are taught lessons, either by our elders or through experience. It's great to see my daughters learn new things and add to their repository of knowledge. With every passing day they absorb new information, process new material, and store them for future reference.

We all earn from good and bad experiences. For example, we quickly learn not to give our drooling baby a superman flight right above our own heads. Especially as we're looking up at them and yelling "Yeaaaah" with our mouths open. Even if you haven't done it, you can learn quite quickly from another parent's retelling of how they first tasted their child's saliva. The second time is when you kiss your baby's feet not realizing that they were in her mouth 2 seconds before you turned to look at her. Actually, I may have that in reverse order, but I'm sure the reader gets the idea.

Unfortunately for MLW and I, S has not been feeling well the past couple of days. Fever, sniffling, coughing, the works. We were awakened last night around 4am by her calling for "mama". I forced myself out of bed a split second before MLW and went over to see what was wrong. I brought her some milk and of course in the mean time G wakes up. While I was feeding G, S started calling for mama again and the ruckus made us feel like it was 4pm instead of it's nocturnal counterpart.

As I stated earlier, we learn many things throughout our lifetime, not knowing when we will use them. I'm sure there have been numerous party nights at college where I was up at 4am (perhaps even on a school night) drinking with friends and laughing on about an episode of The Young Ones. While feeding G, I was able to draw on one of those party nights, and quickly identify what I heard coming from S's room as the noise of someone puking.

While unable to see into the room, I imagined (correctly) that the projectile must have caused collateral damage outside of S's bedding. I put G down in our bed and reported for cleanup/consolation duty.
Initial Report
The blankets: direct hit!
Sheets: secondary damage, not salvageable.
PJ's: Need complete overhaul.
S: Wondering what came out of her mouth and excitedly telling me about it.
Conclusion: Sleepless night.
Supplemental Report
MLW: Trooper as always. Minor "shrapnel" on PJ's

We'll file this experience away in our brains as well. At least I now know that the drinking has not damaged all my brain cells. Although there's still time left on the clock.

No comments: