Friday, June 6, 2008

Cry me a pool

We're going up to the pool at Normandie Court for S's Friday afternoon swim class. People get on at the Penthouse level -- one level below Club Level where the pool is -- and ask us if we're going to the pool. S has her goggles in her Hello Kitty backpack and I have everything else she'll need for after class; towel, change of clothes, and snacks. Before I can say yes, one of the penthouse ladies says "The pool eez cloze."

Ding! The doors open to the Club Level. We check in at the reception desk and I'm told the pool is closed because someone threw up in it. I ask whether the Take Me to the Water people called the class participants to let them know of a)puke in the pool and b)rescheduling. Of course I know the reception chick is not part of TMTTW, but I gotta vent. She tells me that the barfing incident happened less than 10 minutes ago. Either she's full of it or news travels really, really fast at Normandie Court.

As we're walking down to the pool area, I tell S that the pool is closed because someone got sick in it. If you ask me, they should have scooped up the puke in a large garbage can, double the chlorine, and you're done. I mean how much puke could there have been. Was this person doing laps while puking so it's all over the pool? I hardly think a little bit of vomit should close down a 25 yard, 6 lane pool. But then again, I'm not the one with the swimsuit.

As we make our way to S's "coach", we're told 3 more time that the pool is closed. Thanks, thanks, thanks. I explain to S as we're going around the pool that the pool is closed and there is no lesson today. She says "aha" and keep on walking, holding my hand. We get to the coach and she also says that the pool is closed. While I'm asking what her schedule is so S can do the make-up classes (one from last week and this one) S is digging into her backpack. I know what she's doing, but there is no way for me to stop her. She gets to the goggles and pulls them out, showing them to coach with a triumphant smile. The coach repeats, as do I, that there is no class today because ....

The 15 seconds that it takes S to finally realize the ramification of the pool closure almost brought me to tears. I put down my Dunkin Donuts ice coffee to pick her up. The coach's attempt to console her by telling her that she can swim twice next week has no effect. "Ma-ma!" is all S can say. I walk away from the pool with her and try to get her out to the sun deck. She wants none of it. Not being familiar with Kubler-Ross, she's simply in "mama" stage.

I carry her out of the pool area on my bum knee and make it to what has now become our refreshment room upstairs. She's skipped Depression and thankfully is in Acceptance. No story is complete without a typical Hollywood happy ending. I call TMTTW and am told that the class is being rescheduled at a building a block away!!! Happy-happy, joy-joy!

No comments: