Saturday, August 23, 2008

AirBART sucks

Generally I like public transportation. I live in NY and don't own a car so by default I have to use the services that the MTA offers. I've been quite happy with the services offered in NY, with the exception of lack of direct subway service to the airports.

I was interested in taking the BART from Oakland airport to San Francisco yesterday. As you can tell from the title of my post, I did not think highly of it. To be more clear, these guys don't know what the hell they are doing. Sure they can take people form point A to point B without crashing the bus, but the whole thing sucks. Let me lay it out for you:

a) It costs $3 to ride the bus from Oakland airport to the BART station. No problem there, except you need exact change.
b) All the signs pointing you to AirBART make no mention of the exact change caveat. I would have appreciated a sign that says "AirBART <- $3 exact change required Change machine ->"
c) Which brings me to the fact that there is no change machine by the bus, in the terminal, or anywhere within a 3 mile radius of OAK. The change machine is conveniently located at the BART station, at the end of your bus ride!
d) There are no signs as you approach the AirBART bus that you need exact change. There is a little sign as you are boarding the bus that you need exact change.

So basically, I walked all the way to the bus, waited in line as people boarded the bus, got 10 feet from the sign that was obscured by the people waiting in line to get on the bus, and then had to go get change, come back and wait in line again for the next bus.

Yo, BART!!! Spend a couple of bucks and put signs up along the way that say:
AirBART $3
Exact change only

That's all I ask, people.

No comments: