Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Feast

We were invited to our friends' place in PA on Saturday. It was an easy drive from NY with very little traffic. It was the first time we were visiting their new home and everyone was totally into it. I, specifically, was looking forward to the spread that they usually put out for friends.

The art of the spread is truly one of the lost arts of our times. People either don't care to be "hosts" or don't know how to do it right. There are those who put out bags of chips (still in the bag) and bottles of soda on a tablecloth. I love chips and there is nothing wrong with chips and soda, but it ain't a feast. Then there are those who have this elaborate 7 course meal planned out that requires them to be in the kitchen for 95% of the time that the guests are at their house. Although the meal itself might be wonderful, there is no opportunity to converse and hang out with the hosts. At the end of the night the hosts are exhausted and the guests feel awful for having put them through such an ordeal.

A feast IMHO is an opportunity to eat, drink, and be merry. It's a combination of good food and good company. And Saturday was a great example of a feast. There were 5 kids combined in attendance, yet I felt we were able to have adult conversation and the families had a good time. And the food was great! It was a Southern themed meal and everything from the cole slaw to pulled pork burgers were delicious. Did it matter than our friends are Armenian? Yes and no.

Armenians, in general, are a social bunch. We love our food and drink, especially meals that last for 4-5 hours. I remember going to my cousin's for brunch and not leaving until after kebab dinner. I am happy that MLW's family has a similar entertaining style. I'm sure there are other ethnicities that have the same feel for a feast, but look at the title of the blog! On the opposite end of the spectrum, are Armenian friends who, for whatever reason, have not embraced this cornerstone of our culture.J Sure, I don't want to make a big deal of every get-together, but c'mon dude/aper/agas, how about some plates for the buffalo wings that you ordered in. And would it kill you to buy a bag of celery and a tub of Aunt Marie's blue cheese dip?

Our experience this past Saturday reinforced in me the power of food and the importance of being a good "feast master". I hope I never disappoint my guests and if I do, please let me know. I will not be offended.

No comments: